HomeAbout UsBusinessPersonalNews & ArticlesContactReceived a debt collection letter?Download our 'Income and Expenditure' form here

Are you missing out on a council tax discount? If you have dementia, Parkinson’s or suffered a stroke or live with someone who does, you could be entitled to a discount


There are various reasons that mean you qualify for a reduction in your council tax, but it’s a little-known fact that dementia or any other severe mental impairment could be one of those reasons and if you have been medically certified with the condition and are entitled to a disability benefit, then you will be eligible.

The most common qualifying benefits are Attendance Allowance (lower or higher rate), Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate care components) and Personal Independence Payment (lower or higher rate of the daily living component). If the person with dementia or other severe mental impairment lives alone, they will be exempt from paying council tax.

The council tax reduction applies to households where only one other person resides along with the person with who has been diagnosed as the person will qualify for the Single Person Discount - this reduces the annual council tax bill by 25%.

In a household with two adults - one with an impairment - and children under the age of 18, the above still applies as household members are only eligible for council tax when they reach the age of 18.

Some carers living with a person with an impairment will qualify for a council tax exemption and be disregarded if they fall into one of two groups.

The first group must meet all the following criteria:
• care for over 35 hours a week,
• live in the same property as the person they care for,
• are not the partner of the person they care for,
• are not the parent of the person they care for, if the person cared for is aged under 18
• the person being cared for must be entitled to one of the following benefits:
• Disability Living Allowance (middle or highest rate of the care component)
• Personal Independence Payment (either rate of the daily living component)
• either rate of Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance.

The second group of carers must meet all the following criteria:
• provide care or support on behalf of a local authority, government department or charity, or provide care through an introduction by a charity, where the person being cared for is the carer’s employer,
• are employed to care for the person for 24 hours a week or more,
• are paid £44 or less per week,
• live where the care is given.

It’s worth noting that more than one person in the same property can count as a carer, for example where caring duties are being shared.

Please also be aware that a claim may be backdated to when he person became entitled to the exemption so any council tax that has been paid incorrectly could be refunded.

If you’d like to discuss your eligibility and how to claim, please contact our Private Clients Team Erica Pearce-Howard on 01293 596925 or by email erica.pearce-howard@stevensdrake.com or Sue Tipper on 01293 596908 or by email sue.tipper@stevensdrake.com.

Share this article

Have you read our other blogs?

Is the menopause one step closer to becoming a protected characteristic?

September 12, 2022
Employment Law
Read More

New Prime Minister! New approach to employment laws?

September 12, 2022
Employment Law
Read More
View all Articles

Stay up to date with stevensdrake

Simply fill out your details below to receive stevensdrake's monthly newsletter, including regular topical articles, tips and upcoming events.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.